Pages

Monday, October 27, 2014

October 2014

It's been a while since my last update. I got access to Unreal Engine 4 this weekend, and spent most of it (or maybe all of it :D ) figuring out how things work. I'm still planning to release Ludhermia using UDK initially, but after looking through the new engine, I'm seeing a large amount of new possibilities for the game (I'd go as far as saying 'a mind-blowing amount of possibilities').


Some random progress updates:

Ludhermia: - It's almost fully prototyped now, and I will be showing some of the features in videos soon. Here's some stuff I got done in the last couple of months.

    * - AI faction are now able to take over areas from each other and defend their own areas.
    * - New loot system with RPG-style color coding and mostly randomized stats for each weapon/item depending on the material it's crafted from.
    * - completely reworked the inventory system, all weapons are based on 3 base classes that are parametrized to create unique stats.
    * - Dynamic pickable plants
    * - Dropped Scaleform menus/hud in favor of canvas since authoring Flash files without Flash is not economical (time-wise). Also seemed like a good idea given that Scaleform isn't included in UE4.
    * - Multi-world, multi-character, JSon-based save system is now mostly integrated. I still need to set up the player npc group mechanics to allow your other characters to join you.
    * - Treating the save system more like a database allowed me to make all loot in containers persistent. It's currently set up to generate all loot on the map on initial world save creation.
    * - Fixed an old melee attack timing issue that allowed interrupting melee attacks too quickly.
    * - Fully integrated a custom lighting material based on GGX (with metalness), created an alternative to Subsurface Scattering with better performance and DX9 support. I will be releasing the base material in the near future. The basic material setup is: (Lambert Diffuse + SSS) + GGX Specular distribution. It's close enough that when I imported my roughness/metal/etc maps to UE4, it looked good without changes.
    * - Finished lots of meshes, including some better swords, a new revolver, torches, lots of scenery props and my first batch of trees.


Blender:
    Vector Fields:
    - After playing around with cascade in UE4, I made myself a set of python scripts to allow Blender to edit and export .FGA Vector fields. They still need some tweaks, but should be finished (and uploaded somewhere) soon. It's currently based on altering particle systems with forces and saving the offsets between frames.

    Normals Editor:
    * - I'm adding some tree-specific options to my normal editor addon, as well as some general performance tweaks/bug fixes.


Arma2:
    I haven't had much time to work on my DayZ AI addon recently, but will be getting back on it before the end of the year.


I'm most likely forgetting something, but this should give you a general idea of what I've been up to and what to expect in the near future


On a side-note: I just deleted my first spam comment of this blog... I must be doing something right (or wrong, depending on how you look at it) :D

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see you're still working on Ludhermia. Still anticipating the next demo video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still find it hilarious that I thought I'd be finished with Ludhermia within six months when I started... I really had no idea what I was getting myself into :D

      Delete