Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

September 2015 Progress

I haven't posted anything in a while, so it's probably that time again. (I'm still at it)

After spending a few months working on tools to make creating the last bit of my UDK game prototype, Ludhermia easier, I'm back at creating content for it. Mostly weapon and armor variations and finishing up the main map at this point. There are still a couple of systems I haven't finished yet, but they are also almost there.

I've decided to treat the UDK version of Ludhermia as a feature test / prototype instead of full release, as it's taking a lot longer than expected to finish, and will begin work on a Unreal Engine 4 version by the end of the year.


UDK Game:

The crafting system still needs work, since I currently have only two crafting materials (iron and wood). The crafting system Bethesda showed off for Fallout 4 at E3 this year inspired me to expand it a bit to include a sort of modular weapon system that allows you to craft different blades and hilts (on the melee-side) and combine them. Arrow and bullet crafting is also coming along nicely, and will include the ability to place magical enchantments on them.

The melee fighting system still needs a few tweaks to make animations look more fluid (and animations for some of the newer weapon types like spears and staves), but it's mostly finished at this point. I've greatly simplified the original damage and force calculations to allow for much larger-scale fights involving dozens of AIs.

The magic system has also received a full overhaul and should be pretty entertaining after a few more tweaks. Characters need to create or find grimoires to allow the to cast different levels of spells, and each grimoire can be used to contain a limited number of spells up to a certain level. All magic is very powerful, but is balanced by having high skill and attribute requirements to cast anything. A spell crafting system that allows players to combine different spells is also in the works.

My implementation of GGX specular shading in UDK is pretty much finished, as well, and I will share it when I get a chance. It's pretty useful if you're still working on projects in UDK but don't want to fall behind on the current content creation methods (roughness and metalness(?) maps mostly).


Tools:

I spent a lot of time on my new Blender normals editor, and added a few new features like the ability to use a rotating arrow object to adjust normals manually, and a new auto-generation method that weighs normals based on the area of their surrounding faces (weighted normals). Its performance is also a lot better than the original few releases.
The Normals Editor is available here

I'm also working on an overhaul of my vector field editor for Blender, and intend to release it in the next couple of weeks.
The Vector Field Editor is available here


Hopefully it won't take me as long to write my next post. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment